About Our Schools
Welcome to the website of the White Plains Public Schools. The City of White Plains
is a thriving suburban city of about 50,000 people located approximately 25 miles northeast of New York City. Our excellent public schools are a strong attraction for young families and for those relocating to the New York metro area. Our tree-lined neighborhoods retain a small-town feel, yet our town is the economic and political center of Westchester County.
The White Plains Public Schools serve youngsters in Kindergarten through twelfth grade in campuses spread throughout the city of White Plains. The school district has:
Five elementary schools for kindergartners through 5th graders, each offering the same challenging curriculum in safe and nurturing environments.
- As of September 2013, one 6th grade campus at Eastview and one 7th & 8th grade campus at Highlands, both of which prepare students to meet the challenges of the high school.
- One high school for 9th through 12th graders offering over 300 courses, including Honors and Advanced placement courses in all academic areas and noteworthy electives. The high school has a state-of-the-art media center, tennis courts, a pool, and a new artificial turf stadium with an eight-lane track. Students can become involved in more than 50 clubs, award-winning literary publications, performing arts groups and over 50 athletic teams.
An alternative program for 7th through 12th graders needing a smaller setting.
We're proud that we have...
- Very favorable class sizes comparable to other high-quality districts in the area.
- Many specialized programs which improve and enrich our students' lives, accommodate diverse learners, and distinguish our district from others.
- An enrichment program serving students in third through fifth grade.
- Five year sequences in French, Spanish, Italian and Mandarin Chinese are offered for students starting in our middle school. Accelerated German is offered at the High School.
- A wide range of performing arts opportunities, including band, orchestra and chorus beginning in fourth grade and theater productions beginning in middle school.
- Varied opportunities for children with special needs.
- State-of-the-art instructional technology program focused on improving student achievement with computer-networked schools that offer a computer to student ratio of about 1:3. The district was ranked in the top 3% of districts nationwide in computer access and capacity.
- A nationally recognized Controlled Parents' Choice Program – a model for school choice – governing the placement of youngsters in grades K-5.
- A policy which transports – within the boundaries of White Plains – elementary students (K-5) who live more than one-half mile from the school they attend and middle school students (6-8) who live more than one mile from the school they attend.
- Received a rating as one of the top ten districts in the country for corporate relocation in a survey by Expansion Management magazine.
- Two schools – our Middle School and our High School that have been designated Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence by the New York State Education Department and the U.S. Department of Education.
For more information about the White Plains Public Schools, call the Parent Information Center at 914-422-2113.